Seniors pass on knowledge

When Chris Hill, Alan Anderson and Kelvin Torbert joined the Spartans as freshmen, the team lacked a solid senior class to show them the ropes.

Now that the senior trio is leaving, Anderson said he made sure to leave behind their knowledge and experience.

"We never had that," Anderson said. "Next year, those guys will be able to hit the ground running."

The team also will have the experience of a Final Four run and wins over some of the most storied programs in college basketball.

The Spartans are expected to return junior guard Maurice Ager, junior center Paul Davis and sophomore guard Shannon Brown to the starting lineup.

All three had great tournaments, and Brown earned the Austin region's Most Valuable Player.

Last week, both Brown and Davis confirmed that they would return next season, and Ager seems to be leaning toward returning.

"I feel good that everyone is coming back," MSU head coach Tom Izzo said after losing to North Carolina in the Final Four on Saturday. "But like I always do, I'll talk to my guys."

But given a sudden change in heart, which has happened before in East Lansing, they would have to declare for the NBA draft by May 14.

The Spartans also will have more experience at point guard as Drew Neitzel enters his sophomore season. Neitzel improved throughout the season and gained the starting spot for 14 of the final 15 games.

Redshirt freshman Marquise Gray could challenge for a starting lineup spot at the power forward position. The 6-foot-8 bigman suffered a couple injuries throughout the season and must get healthy during the summer.

The Spartans also plan to return sophomores Drew Naymick and Delco Rowley, who missed the majority of the tournament with a knee injury.

Other redshirt freshman Goran Suton, a 6-foot-10 center with good post skills, and 6-foot-10 shotblocker Idong Ibok also should make their way into the rotation.

Next year's freshman class includes Travis Walton, a 6-foot-2 guard from Lima, Ohio. Izzo describes him as a true point guard that has the skills to be a great leader and a defensive stopper.

The Spartans also signed 6-foot-4 guard Maurice Joseph from Montreal, Quebec. Izzo said Joseph is a good shooter and a defensive player.

Izzo spent the end of this week recruiting and could still add another player this spring.

Izzo also should be back for his 11th season, despite being named in the media as a candidate for NBA coaching jobs.

He'll have to find a replacement for associate head coach Doug Wojcik, who took the head coaching job at Tulsa at the season's end. Wojcik was the Spartans' main recruiter.

MSU loses 45 percent of its scoring with seniors Hill, Anderson, Torbert and Tim Bograkos leaving. The Spartans also could lose forward Matt Trannon, who also plays football and might need next winter to train for NFL camps.

The Spartans already have been named by analysts to start next season ranked in the top 10.

Share and discuss “Seniors pass on knowledge” on social media.