Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Advisers utilize online chat programs

When academic adviser Nancy Ehret goes into her office every morning and boots up her computer, the first thing that comes on the screen is AOL Instant Messenger.

But she's not slacking off or chatting with old friends from high school - she's one of many MSU advisers who are turning to instant messenger programs as a way to keep in touch with students.

Ehret, who has about 60 journalism students that she talks to on her buddy list, said six of the seven advisers in the College of Communication Arts & Sciences have started using instant messenger this semester to answer questions ranging from internship application deadlines to transfer credits.

One of those six is Scott Maas, an adviser for advertising and journalism students, who said he started using instant messenger because it aligns with students' daily routines.

"Right now, that's the big thing we're using because so many students are tech-savvy as they come in here, and that's the way they're communicating," Maas said.

Maas said the program helps him give students another opportunity to access him and get their questions answered.

"If you think about it, I'm only 25, and I have my own list of friends I talk to all across the country," Maas said. "This is a way for students all across the country to get in touch with me."

Kelly Billings, an audiology and speech sciences junior, said she added her adviser to her buddy list as soon as she found out she had a screen name.

"It's faster than e-mail, and it's easier than making an appointment if you have a question," Billings said.

Michael Fredericks, a computer science professor at Olivet College and adviser at Lansing Community College, said more advisers across the state are using instant messenger programs, as well as services like Blackboard and ANGEL that have built-in chat functions.

"Most advisers I know now are using chat features," said Fredericks, who will give a presentation on technological opportunities at a statewide conference for advisers next month. "Technology as a whole is what they move toward."

Fredericks said advisers typically use instant messenger for quick, one-hit questions, but stick to personal visits or all-in-one programs like ANGEL for larger issues.

"The trend now tends to stay a little more around that one central thing," he said. "When (advisers) find that they have chat opportunities in Blackboard and ANGEL, it's one less thing for them to learn."

Ehret said just like with any technological innovation, it will take time for advisers to fully embrace the world of instant messaging.

"I don't know if it's easier for me, but it's easier for students," Ehret said. "I still haven't mastered away messages or signing off."

Share and discuss “Advisers utilize online chat programs” on social media.