Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Committee discusses liberal arts college

The Executive Committee of Academic Council heard feedback from the standing committees on the final report of the Committee on College Reorganization.

Only the University Committee on Faculty Affairs endorsed an option laid out in the final report - the recommendation that MSU improve liberal arts and sciences education, without significant college reorganization now.

Investment in liberal arts and sciences must wait for new resources, rather than shifting funds from other programs, said Susan Melnick, co-chairwoman of the University Committee on Faculty Affairs.

"We are arguing in favor of strengthening liberal arts, not diminishing it," Melnick said.

The other option mentioned would establish a Faculty of Arts and Human Sciences institution that would include the Colleges of Arts & Letters and Social Science.

Vinayak Prasad, chairman of the University Committee on Student Affairs, said his committee felt strong reservations about the option because it did not include the College of Natural Science.

"We are hesitant to say reorganization is necessary to fix the problems," Prasad said. "We think a slow approach is mandatory."

Acting Provost John Hudzik said the executive committee should wait for the suggestions from colleges.

"At this point, I don't see a clear message about a particular option receiving support," Hudzik said.

Share and discuss “Committee discusses liberal arts college” on social media.