Thursday, October 10, 2024

Lansing gallery combines art, music

Photographer Randy Austin-Cardona at his exhibition of musician photography at the Creole Gallery, 1218 Turner St., in Lansing. Austin-Cardona has been doing this type of photography since 1983. "I love photography and I love music, so why not combine the best of both worlds?" Austin-Cardona said.

Only one Lansing gallery has its walls full of photos and floor full of dancing feet.

Creole Gallery, 1218 Turner St., in Lansing opened its doors Thursday to showcase the photography of Oak Park, Mich. resident Randy Austin-Cardona and Lansing Art Gallery owner Richard Galosy to start its concert season.

The selection of these two artists weren't made by accident. Both were chosen because their work focuses on musicians.

"We just thought it would be a great idea to open up our concert season with photographs of performing artists," Creole Gallery owner Robert Busby said. "Randy has (photographed) a lot of performers throughout Michigan and Richard has more local musicians from Lansing."

Grammy-nominated band Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys will supply the music element.

"This is our first music-related opening; we haven't really done anything special before," Busby said. "But we are making a big deal out of this one."

Austin-Cardona has traveled Michigan to photograph musicians such as Arlo Guthrie and Bonnie Raitt.

"A lot of (the photographs) are mostly old-school folk musicians," he said. "Although I have done some of the jam bands and some modern folk singers as well.

"They are essentially taken of the artist in performance, concentrating not so much on the event."

Austin-Cardona is an MSU alumnus, graduating in 1979 with a fine arts degree. He then attended Grand Valley State University to a pursue a career in medical photography.

"I was doing everything from public relations as well as clinical documentaries," he said. "I was in the OR (operating room) taking pictures and at fund-raisers."

Having nearly 25 years of photography experience, Austin-Cardona said he is pleased to have his photographs seen at a venue like the Creole Gallery.

"I think (this exhibit) is an interest to music lovers, because the Creole Gallery does feature musicians," he said. "I think it's appropriate my pictures be shown in that kind of a space."

Galosy has a more local flavor to his photography. Since he owns a gallery literally three doors down from Busby's, Galosy started a friendship with his neighbor and became the Creole Gallery's official photographer.

"He just volunteered to photograph our concerts," Busby said. "Now he has the opportunity to hang the photos in his gallery, too."

Galosy moved to the Lansing area five years ago at which time he decided to be a full-time photographer. Aside from photographing area musicians, he also focuses on custom and fine art photography.

"I print on canvas and fine-art paper, which gives a whole texture to the photography," he said. "Part of the uniqueness is that all the photos (at the gallery) are printed on photo-paper and are framed and matted."

The exhibits will be on display through September. More of Galosy's photos can be seen at his gallery, A Simple Elegance, 1212 Turner St., in Lansing's Old Town.

Both photographers said appreciation for music and art is what makes their professions enjoyable.

"I always had a strong interest in photography and music," Austin-Cardona said. "This is a way of combining my love for both of them."

Share and discuss “Lansing gallery combines art, music” on social media.