Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Mosquito numbers to dwindle

The rainy May that East Lansing experienced wreaked havoc on rivers, homes and vacation plans, but mosquitoes in the area were living the dream.

But have no fear, the mosquitoes currently buzzing around will dwindle down within the next couple weeks. Despite the common belief that a wetter-than-usual spring will bring an abundance of the bloodsucking insects, experts say they believe the mosquito population shouldn't be much worse than in years past.

Every year, the first wave of mosquitoes, known as "spring floodwater mosquitoes," hatch from puddles left behind from the winter snow. The larvae usually mature into adults in May and die off near the end of June.

Howard Russell, an entomologist with MSU Diagnostic Services, said the abundance of spring floodwater mosquitoes isn't anything new.

"We always have these mosquitoes. They come from swampy areas and other areas that hold standing water," Russell said.

Russell remains optimistic for the rest of the summer. The second wave, called "summer floodwater mosquitoes," are dependent on more rain in the summer, and if the rains that occurred in May do not repeat themselves, the population shouldn't grow.

Several organizations have been trying to control the mosquito hatches. Tom Wilmot, Director of Midland County Mosquito Control, said teams have been placing bacteria in pools of standing water, attempting to curb the hatches of mosquito larvae.

"It may not be a real bad summer, but the spring mosquitoes will be noticeable for the next couple weeks," Wilmot said.

Wilmot also gave several tips for those who plan on backyard barbecues, including keeping down the vegetation in which the mosquitoes breed, using insect repellent with DEET and encouraging neighbors to take care of any standing water in their backyard.

The West Nile Virus, which is contracted from mosquitoes, is the fastest growing health threat in the United States, said Allen James, president of RISE (Responsible Industry for a Sound Environment).

James said West Nile Virus will be present in the Midwest this year, but hopefully there will be fewer cases.

James recommended spraying backyards for mosquitoes to eliminate those that have already hatched. He also advises people to wear an insect repellent that contains DEET, especially if they are going to be outside for extended periods of time.

"In times when people are going to be outside longer, like in the afternoon, they should apply a higher percentage of DEET," James said.

The Ingham County Health Department is not anticipating a great number of West Nile cases this summer.

"So far, we haven't had anything. We think it will be mostly to the west of us," said Judy Williams, a disease control supervisor for the department.

Share and discuss “Mosquito numbers to dwindle” on social media.