Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Whitmer seeks 3rd term

Gretchen Whitmer, East Lansing's representative in the state House, recently declared her run for re-election.

The Democrat announced the bid to retain her seat last week, following widespread rumors that she would be abandoning the position to pursue a judgeship.

"I never thought of doing anything else," Whitmer said. "I have no idea where or why that rumor came about. I was never looking into it."

If she is re-elected, it will be her third two-year term as representative of the 69th District. Prior to becoming a legislator, the MSU graduate briefly practiced law.

Whitmer is the ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations Committee and cites a balanced budget as her main concern for the state right now. She said ensuring that colleges and universities are funded adequately is important.

"Higher education will always be my top priority," she said.

But Whitmer came under fire from some MSU students last year after she motioned for the approval of Gov. Jennifer Granholm's 2003-04 fiscal year budget proposal, which included a 1.5-percent slash in funding to public universities. Whitmer defended her position on the issue by pointing out that other important budget items, such as K-12 education and health care funding, also had to be cut.

"I've always been very supportive of the university," Whitmer said. "Every dollar that we spend on higher education goes a great way to improving the quality of life in Michigan."

Recent bills that Whitmer has sponsored deal with issues such as allowing mail-order pharmacies to operate in Michigan and letting city councils provide input for setting certain speed limits - an initiative that arose after a dispute over speed-limit increases on two East Lansing roadways.

Both Republicans and Democrats who serve with Whitmer on the Appropriations Committee describe her as a capable legislator.

"She's an exceptional lady, very bright and very articulate," said Rep. Michael Sak, R-Grand Rapids. "She's got very strong opinions and is committed to her constituency."

Sak mentioned a proposed move or expansion of MSU's College of Human Medicine to Grand Rapids as an issue on which he has had a great deal of discussion with Whitmer.

"It would benefit West Michigan, but at the same time, we don't want to hurt MSU or East Lansing," he said. "We've worked on the issue to ensure that both constituencies are represented."

Rep. John Stewart, R-Plymouth, also had positive things to say about Whitmer, despite the fact they represent different political parties.

"She's extremely capable and she's very well-informed, but she's a pure Democrat," he said.

Meanwhile, Rep. Scott Shackleton, a Republican from Sault Ste. Marie, noted Whitmer's willingness to compromise.

"I've had quite a bit of experience working with Gretchen," Shackleton said. "It's very important for a legislator to work on both sides of the aisle and negotiate, and I really respect her ability to do that."

If Whitmer is successful in her bid for re-election, it will be the last time she is able to hold a seat in the House. Michigan term limits prohibit state representatives from serving more than three terms.

Whitmer said has not decided what she will do if she finds herself term-limited in 2006.

"Practicing law is always a viable option; there are always less lucrative things I could do," she said, adding that she feels her political career won't end simply because her career as a representative might.

"I really enjoy public service and I hope to remain here."

Share and discuss “Whitmer seeks 3rd term” on social media.