Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Job expo attracts crowd

Lansing Community College students Moussa Kalo, left, and Ricky Gomez fill out job applications Tuesday at the Capital Area Michigan Works Spring Job Expo 2004 at the Lansing Center.

Lansing - As Duane Farris filled out an employment application for Sparrow Health System on Tuesday, he wasn't sure he'd land the job.

"Employers have been telling me I might have a hard time because I've already got experience," said Farris, a Lansing resident who recently left his job in the health care industry. "But I'm going to give it a try because you've got to pay the rent."

Farris was one of more than 1,000 job seekers who attended the Capital Area Michigan Works Spring Job Expo on Tuesday. Representatives from 48 businesses spoke with the potential employees who strolled about the Lansing Center, 333 E. Michigan Ave., throughout the afternoon.

Attire ranged from business suits to sweatsuits as hopefuls distributed their résumés, interviewed with employers and filled out applications.

Like Farris, many of the candidates found themselves overqualified for the positions being offered.

Part-time MSU student and Lansing resident Justin Souyias attended the expo even though he already has a job in the sales industry. He took home applications for the Lansing State Journal, Skory Wireless, Sundance Chevrolet and AFLAC.

"I'm looking to see what's out there - if there's anything bigger or better," he said.

Terry Edsall, co-owner of Skory Wireless, said he was surprised to find so many suitable applicants for the technical sales position his company was looking to fill.

"I was expecting to find maybe five people and we've found 10 already," he said, an hour into the expo.

In addition to sales and health care positions, employers also offered spots within the banking, trucking, hotel management and education industries. Several Army recruiters and MSU representatives had set up information booths as well.

"Our goal is to connect employers and job seekers, and the expo is a prime example of that," said Kate Tykocki, an event spokeswoman for Capital Area Michigan Works, the Clinton, Eaton and Ingham counties' employment center that sponsored the event.

Considering the steady rate of unemployment in the Lansing area in recent years, Tykocki said she was thrilled to see so many businesses volunteer to exhibit at the expo.

Most job candidates said they came to the expo because the amount of employers there made it a convenient way to find a job.

"I know who's hiring," said Lansing resident Kara Goerge, who left the fair with three applications. "Instead of people having to find the jobs, they're all right here in one place."

Share and discuss “Job expo attracts crowd” on social media.