Monday, October 21, 2024

'U' attracted by 'extravaganza'

Horticulture senior Beverly Ruesink sits among organic herbs for sale at the MSU Horticulture Club's 16th Annual Spring Show on Sunday in the Plant and Soil Science Building. Ruesink is a member of both the Horticulture Club and MSU Student Organic Farm project.

Light streamed through the greenhouse ceiling, warming the visiting students and community members who looked over the array of flowers at the MSU Horticulture Club's 16th annual Spring Show this weekend.

The show highlighted different gardens from around the world with its "International Garden Extravaganza"-themed show. Featured gardens included Michigan, Southwest, tropical, English and Japanese gardens.

"Every year, the club votes on the theme," said Craig Lamble, club president. "We debated for quite a while, and this seemed to encompass all areas of gardening trends."

A plant sale fund-raiser accompanied the show. Customers from around the area came to buy plants, as well as see the display. The extravaganza was held in the greenhouse of the Plant and Soil Sciences Building and showcased the distinct gardens in a planned-out design.

"I loved their landscaping and the waterfall," said Lu Smith, a customer and Lansing resident.

All plants from the show are donated from various Michigan organizations such as Bordine Nursery and The Cottage Garden Center. Proceeds will be used to send club members to different conferences, exposés, trade shows, competitions and internships. Participants and customers said the show gets progressively better each year.

"There's a larger selection and there's higher-quality plants," said horticulture senior Beverly Ruesink, a club member who was selling herbs at the event. "We're lucky to get a lot of donations from different industries."

The show was dedicated to horticulture staff members Anne Boone and Mike Olrich at a ceremony on Friday. Boone helped spray pesticides on the plants and Olrich donated significant portions of research plant materials to the club for its activities.

The Spring Show took four weeks to put up and will need five days to take down. There are about 60 members in the club, and the entire event is student-organized and student-run.

"I'm always impressed," said Art Cameron, senior adviser to the club. "I like the way the gardens contrast. Here's a green utopia, and right next to it will be a minimalistic garden."

Cameron said he answers any questions students have, but the final product is entirely a student effort.

Share and discuss “'U' attracted by 'extravaganza'” on social media.