Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Family center celebrates 10-year anniversary

Higher, adult and lifelong education graduate student Pauline Chhooi, center, and her husband, mechanical engineering graduate student Nan Jou Pern, right, read to their 23-month-old daughter Jolene Pern, left, in their apartment. Chhooi is a co-chairwoman of Student Parents on a Mission.

A local organization working to ease the stress of parents attending college celebrated its 10-year anniversary this month.

The Family Resource Center offers classes and assistance to many students with children. Pauline Chhooi, co-chairwoman of Student Parents on a Mission and a student mother of one, with another child on the way, attended the group's anniversary open house.

Chhooi, a higher, adult and lifelong education graduate student, said the programs offered help her deal with the stresses of being both a student and a parent.

"It's like a support group," Chhooi said of the monthly meetings with other members. "People openly talk about their problems and there are other people in the group who can help."

Student Parents on a Mission is a group for MSU students with children, using assistance from the Family Resource Center, 1407 S. Harrison Ave.

The center provides parenting classes, eldercare classes, student support, sick-child care, emergency childcare and a list of baby-sitters in the area. It serves faculty, staff and student parents, as well as providing elderly care.

Lori Strom, coordinator of the center, said she sympathizes with student parents.

"It's a burden trying to get your degree and still be a good parent; there are lots of responsibilities," Strom said.

The Family Resource Center collaborates with Student Parents on a Mission as well as many other MSU groups. It helps pay for group activities, finances the rental of the space at the Spartan Child Development Center, 1730 Crescent Road, for meetings and provides free childcare during the meetings.

Workers at the center also help find guest speakers, as well as working to help student parents find financial aid.

About 60 members of Student Parents on a Mission pay dues of $5 per semester. In addition to monthly meetings with guest speakers, there also is a planned activity every month that includes both parents and their children.

"It's great for people who are single parents to get to meet other people in the same situation, going through the same stuff," said physiology junior Melissa Alsobrooks, who also is a single parent and co-chairwoman of Students Parents on a Mission. "They know everything you could ever want to know about what's on campus for children that is low cost or no cost."

Strom said she has seen both success stories and student parents drop out of college due to the extra responsibility.

"It's hard for the parents, I don't recommend it," Strom said about being a student parent. "I don't know how they do it. Even though we want people to go to school here, I always tell them that your family has got to be your priority."

Despite the extra responsibility, Chhooi said she thinks parenting in college is a positive experience.

"It makes you very strong," Chhooi said. "I wouldn't say it's a hardship, I'd say it's something to inspire a student parent. You come home and see your child, and it makes you want to work hard, strive hard, graduate in time, get a career and survive."

Share and discuss “Family center celebrates 10-year anniversary” on social media.