Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Workers step it up

Gretchen Morr wears a pedometer around campus so she can monitor her daily steps. In an average day, she takes about 12,000 of them.

"I wear it on top of my pants; it's black and it just blends in - it looks like a pager," she said.

The interdisciplinary studies in social science senior works part-time for state Sen. Beverly Hammerstrom, R-Temperance, and is participating in the Legislative Health Challenge. Employees and members of the state House, Senate and executive office are in competition with one another to see who takes the most steps each week.

"I enjoy the friendly competition in our office, so I wear the pedometer and compete with my coworkers," Morr said. "It definitely makes you want to be more active; it is just amazing how many steps you can get from walking such a short distance."

The challenge was started by the Healthy Michigan Caucus group, made up of legislators working to make Michigan residents healthier.

The United States is the most obese country in the world, and Michigan ranks second in the nation. About 25 percent of Michigan residents are obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Early in December, legislators decided it was time to do something to set an example. The contest began on Dec. 8 and will last through March.

Rep. Stephen Adamini, D-Marquette, said the challenge is meant to raise awareness about health. The caucus is working closely with the Department of Community Health to come up with a plan for the public, he said.

"It's unbelievable how many people come up to me and tell me how many steps they have walked for the day," he said. "They are just so proud of how many steps they have taken and they want to share the information."

Employees use donated pedometers to keep track of their steps - the daily goal is 10,000. At the end of the week they report their steps, either by calling them in or logging onto a Web site.

Teri Ambs, who also works for Hammerstrom, said participating in the challenge changed many of her habits.

"You find yourself increasing your activity and just getting up and being more active," she said. "It's keeping it on your mind that you should get up and go for a walk."

Sen. Jason Allen, R-Traverse City, said the number of steps he takes per day varies.

He said that he programmed his electronic planner to track his daily calorie and carbohydrate intake.

"It's been one of those good challenges to work for," he said. "You try to get those extra steps in and that is one component for a healthy lifestyle."

But not every legislator has found time to participate. Sen. Virg Bernero, D-Lansing, said he doesn't take part in the program. Bernero reintroduced a bill earlier this year that would have limited soda vending machines in schools to aid general health.

"I refuse to weigh myself; I go by how I fit my pants." Bernero said. "It's great to get (the Legislature) thinking about working out, but I already had an exercise regimen.

"But, I did clip it to my dog's collar for a while - I figure that the dog is no more active than me."

Share and discuss “Workers step it up” on social media.