Friday, October 11, 2024

Book encourages cultural tastes

Maria Clara Jaramillo Velasquez sold everything she owned to come to America two years ago.

The quick decision to escape from Colombia came after threatening phone calls and killings of co-workers occurred. She was afraid for her life and of leaving her family behind, yet even more fearful of life in a country without money or knowledge of the language.

But she knew the freedom she would experience in the United States was worth her sacrifice.

Her willpower, continued contact with her family and ties to Colombian culture and cuisine have helped carry her through the uphill battle.

This story is just one of eight included in a cookbook, which gives Lansing area residents a little taste of refugee culture.

"A Taste of Freedom: A Culinary Journey with America's Refugees" integrates world culture, refugee stories and recipes selected by each of the eight featured women to challenge both the mind and the taste buds.

Author Vincent Delgado and photographers Jeremy Herliczek and Becky Shink formed The Global Workshop and began plans for a refugee publication in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"A lot of crazy things happened in the refugee program then," Delgado said. "Feelings and actions against refugees were changed."

The Global Workshop's recipe for a change is what led to the publication of "A Taste of Freedom" cookbook, along with both local and worldwide support and recognition.

The recipes, stories and photographs are blended to stir both a thankfulness for freedom and a greater awareness of global culture for readers.

Delgado, director of the Refugee Development Center, had three years of experience hearing refugees' stories before his inspiration for the cookbook developed two years ago.

"Once you are in a refugee's home and you're are cozy with the food and tea they have served you, the stories come out," he said.

And the cookbook serves to mirror that experience.

"Food is oftentimes the only thing that refugees can take with them and it's a great way (to help) you think about culture," Delgado said.

People seem to agree, as more than 2,000 copies of the cookbook have sold since the release in September.

The book's proceeds, which benefit Refugee Services, a program of Catholic Social Services of Lansing/St. Vincent Home eventually will go toward starting a women's entrepreneurship center.

"But the obvious and most important goal of the book is basically educating people," Delgado said.

Share and discuss “Book encourages cultural tastes” on social media.