Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Longtime sheriff seeks 5th term

Ingham County Sheriff Gene Wriggelsworth announced on Monday his plans to seek a fifth term with several goals in mind.

"I've accomplished a lot of things, but there are still some things that need to be done," he said.

Wriggelsworth made his announcement with his wife, Sandy, by his side. She said being the wife of the sheriff there is "never a dull moment" and she fully supported his decision to run again.

The two have three sons who all have occupations in some form of law enforcement.

Ingham County Undersheriff Matthew Myers said no one has announced plans to run against Wriggelsworth, who is a Democrat.

During the past four elections, Wriggelsworth has faced an opponent, which is why Myers said he expects someone to eventually step forward and run against him.

Myers, who has worked with Wriggelsworth since 1988, said he was pleased with the sheriff's decision. He said Wriggelsworth will campaign for re-election until the primary in August and the general election in November.

"He has always been one of the top vote-getters in the county," Myers said. "He's been a popular sheriff.

"We expect that he will win re-election very easily."

Wriggelsworth's main duty is running the Ingham County Jail in Mason, which has the capacity to house 575 inmates and is the fifth largest jail in the state. He also oversees the transportation of inmates and provides security in courts. The job pays about $90,000 a year for the four-year term.

"The day-to-day operations are a challenge that I enjoy," Wriggelsworth said.

From 1966 to 1974, Wriggelsworth served as an officer with the Michigan State Police before being promoted to sergeant in 1974 and detective lieutenant in 1977. Since his first election as Ingham County sheriff in 1988, Wriggelsworth has been instrumental in building a new kitchen for the jail, updating technology for officers, erecting a new radio tower and developing award-winning traffic safety programs.

Upon re-election, Wriggelsworth said he plans on completing a renovation project on a section of the jail and finding ways to fit the needs of mentally challenged inmates. Earlier this month, Wriggelsworth made the decision to open eight unsolved area homicide cases - a first for Ingham County.

Share and discuss “Longtime sheriff seeks 5th term” on social media.