Sunday, October 20, 2024

Iraq policies debated

Faculty group to duscuss McPherson rebuilding plans

A group of faculty members hope to raise concerns about MSU President M. Peter McPherson's role in the economic development of Iraq during a speech Monday at the Union.

The Open Faculty Forum, formed in September, consists of about 40 faculty members, Associate Professor of English Scott Michaelsen said. McPherson is scheduled to speak at the Union at 6 p.m. today on his experiences in Iraq, where he served as the financial coordinator for the Office of Reconstruction and Humanitarian Assistance.

"What we most want to do is to make up space for an alternative voice for this campus," Michaelsen said.

Michaelsen said the group has been meeting about once a month and hopes to join in dialogue with McPherson about policies related to Iraq, including U.S. investments, the role of Iraqi government representatives during the U.S. occupation, the lack of discussion among the faculty before McPherson left for Iraq, and more issues.

The MSU Board of Trustees granted McPherson a 130-day, unpaid leave of absence April 25. He returned to campus in late September and resumed his role as MSU's president on Oct. 1., the same day that marked his 10th anniversary as president.

"When a president of a university goes to something like this, even when it's on a leave of absence, they're certainly at some level representing the university," Michaelsen said.

McPherson said there will be a question-and-answer session at the scheduled meeting. He added that it is the nature of a college campus to have a variety of opinions on any particular issue.

"I speak on a whole range of subjects," he said. "I don't expect everyone to agree with everything I say."

McPherson said there were several opportunities before the war for faculty, students and community members to let their voices be heard on the issue.

In mid-February, more than 400 people attended a discussion about the war at the Union. A similar event was held in April.

Still, Michaelsen said strong opinions will probably be raised at the forum.

"I would expect a very animated and interesting conversation tomorrow night," he said.

Share and discuss “Iraq policies debated” on social media.