Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Council addresses alcohol issues

East Lansing City Council members will see a presentation on the American Campus & Alcohol Project during their 7 p.m. meeting today in Conference Room A of City Hall, 410 Abbott Road.

Deputy City Manager Jean Golden said the group has been in existence for about three years and includes members of the university, Olin Health Center and city constituents. The goal of the project is to deal with alcohol-related issues, such as fights, excessive noise and riots.

Golden said today's presentation will explain the activities of the American Campus & Alcohol Project, as well as what was learned at a conference held last week at The Ohio State University. Several city, university and public safety officials attended the conference, which focused on ways to avoid riots and unruly behavior in the community.

Following the presentation, council members will vote on whether to approve an increase in the amount of money full-time city employees receive for medical expenses and dependent care.

Compensation and benefits manager Sally Schepis said the money is taken from the employee's yearly gross and is set aside for medical expenses not covered in their regular insurance or medical plans.

Schepis said employees have $2,000 set aside, but she hopes the council will approve "to increase the amount from $2,000 to $3,000 so people can have a little bit more money in their accounts," Schepis said.

Council also will discuss an evaluation of the city's Downtown Management Board. State law and legislation from the Principal Shopping District requires the board to be evaluated annually, said Carolyn Bennett, East Lansing's community and economic development administrator. East Lansing has one of five Principal Shopping Districts in the state.

To close the meeting, the council will make appointments to East Lansing's boards and commissions. Council members will be chosen to serve as liaisons to the board or commission, and at least one liaison is needed for each group.

Share and discuss “Council addresses alcohol issues” on social media.