Friday, September 27, 2024

ELPD host meetings with students

In a relationship strained with riots and a heightened noise policy, the East Lansing police continue monthly meetings with MSU students to alleviate concerns.

The East Lansing Police Department began the Police/Student Relations Committee after the March 27-28, 1999 riot. The program allows police officers to meet with concerned students.

"There is no agenda; we are here to talk about the students' concerns," Deputy Police Chief Tom Wibert said.

The meetings take place on the third Monday of every month at varying locations.

In its first year, the meetings were held at the East Lansing City Hall. They have since been held at residence halls, fraternity and sorority houses and Olin Health Center. On Monday, the meeting was held at Pi Kappa Phi, 131 Bogue St.

Pi Kappa Phi president Kenneth Blidy said he jumped at the chance to hold the meeting in their house.

"A lot of the guys expressed interest because they wanted a better understanding of what the police expect." Blidy said.

The meeting was dominated by talk of how to avoid receiving one of the new noise ordinance violations, which calls for a minimum of three days in jail and fines of up to $1,000.

Mechanical engineering sophomore Jon Baetens said he went to the meeting to learn about "what we have to do to not get in trouble, and the proper way to run social events."

Wibert stressed that cooperation with officers is a major factor in avoiding violations.

"In my opinion, if doesn't matter who you are - you definitely want the cops on your side." Blidy said.

To avoid violations, Wibert suggested keeping people off the lawn, putting windows up and registering your party with the police.

"Nobody is under the gun to write a ticket," Wibert said. "Their job is to solve the problem."

Wibert said student-police relations have come a long way, partly due to the monthly meetings.

"Ten years ago, if you would have told me I would have a civil meeting at this fraternity, or any fraternity, I would have said you're crazy," he said.

Share and discuss “ELPD host meetings with students” on social media.