Sunday, October 20, 2024

DCL goes global

Mahbuba Fidda studied law in the Soviet Union, practiced in Afghanistan and now hopes to continue her studies by working toward a master's degree at the MSU-Detroit College of Law.

Fidda is one of six international students to enter the new master's program that began this year.

The program brought students from Lebanon, Egypt, Canada, Mexico, China and Afghanistan. Fidda's decision to study at MSU is because of the school's reputation.

Fidda has lived in the United States for five years, and said her background has helped her understand the American legal system. She hopes to practice law in the United States and give legal aid to immigrants such as herself.

"This opens the door to being a lawyer in America," Fidda said. "I hope to teach and help other immigrants."

The master's degree requires 24 credits.

Master of Laws Program Director Jeremy Harrison said the program is meant to expand the horizons of its graduates so they may be able to practice in America or in their native country.

"Students are coming here and taking advantage of resources from an American perspective," Harrison said.

Fidda said she now looks forward to the legal writing class. It is an area she said she - as well as other international students - struggle with.

"We don't have much experience coming from other countries, but I like the challenge," Fidda says.

MSU-Detroit College of Law Dean Terence Blackburn said the program is tailored to draw international students to MSU who want to pass the bar exam. Although the students already have law degrees in other countries, they still need higher training to pass the exam.

Blackburn said the students that come to the program try to start a practice in America or want to be able to deal with American clients in their home countries.

The program will gradually work to bring American students to the school, and offer more specialized education for those who want to further their law studies. But Blackburn said he doesn't plan for a large enrollment in the program in the future.

"Not more than 15 per year," he said. "Six is great for the first year.

"Students require different kinds of mentoring, we want to do a good job for each of them."

Share and discuss “DCL goes global” on social media.