Sunday, October 20, 2024

Council offers feminist activism

Communication senior and MSU Women's Council co-director Laura Sorensen talks at the Feast of Feminism on Wednesday at the Union. The meeting helped explain to new and returning students the goals of the council.

Loud laughter resonates out of room 441 in the Union on Wednesday nights, when MSU's Women's Council holds its weekly meetings.

"441," as they affectionately refer to it, is considered a safe place, as well as a hang-out spot for students - evident by the record-setting number of people in attendance at Wednesday's meeting.

The council celebrated its Feast of Feminism at the first meeting to kick off the school year.

More than 50 people crowded into the small room, and those hovering by the door were encouraged to pile in.

"Everyone is welcome," social relations senior Kim Drotar said.

"It's almost like a lifestyle, it consumes you."

Drotar, also a representative of Women's Council for ASMSU's Student Assembly, said her favorite part about being on the council is activism within the group.

The people involved with the council call themselves good friends, and the proof was in their greetings when everyone began entering the room for the 9 p.m. meeting.

"Mostly it has stopped being a club and started being a group of friends," Drotar said.

"I came to my first meeting two years ago and have been coming ever since."

The main goal of Women's Council is to eradicate sexism and oppression.

Emily West, co-director of the council, said she feels most comfortable when she's in "441" and with other members of the council.

She has been a part of the group for three years.

"It's very important to me and this is where I can be myself," the interior design senior said.

The Women's Council organizes Every Woman's Weekend in October and The Vagina Monologues in the spring, as well as many other events throughout the year.

Laura Sorensen, also co-director, said the council provides a voice for all women and gives her an opportunity to empower herself.

"It's exciting to be part of a community of women who are making a difference on campus," the communication senior said.

"We wanted to create a safe space for women to talk about our issues and always feel respected."

For more information on Women's Council, contact the Women's Resource Center at (517)353-1635.

Share and discuss “Council offers feminist activism” on social media.