Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Telling nature's story

Storyteller speaks near Grand River

Lansing resident Tim Bogar tells a story concerning his usage of duct tape to catch flies Friday (7/25/03) on the Grand River in Lansing. The Mid-Michigan Environmental Action Council sponsored a "Story Time on the Grand" for young children in the hopes that it would make them aware of important environmental issues.

Lansing - Professional storyteller Tim Bogar stood underneath the cool shade provided by an Oak tree near the Grand River on Friday as he wrapped duct tape around his khaki pant legs.

After spending several minutes doing this, he recreated his camping trip - catching stable flies with the sticky side of the tape. The story, titled "The Curse of North Manitou" was one of the many environmental-themed tales Bogar created for "Story Time on the Grand," an activity created to develop environmental awareness directed at children and adults.

The free event drew a crowd of about 25 people. It was sponsored by the Mid-Michigan Environmental Action Council, or Mid-MEAC, a nonprofit environmental group.

Bogar, a Lansing resident and professional storyteller for 11 years, says he prefers telling stories instead of working as a graphic artist.

"I don't even have a computer at home," Bogar said. "Story telling is my true vocation."

The storytelling made its debut as one of the ecology activities the environmental group hosts on a quarterly basis. Other activities include planting trees on Earth Day and monitoring water quality for the Adopt-A-River program, Yorko said.

Jessica Yorko, a Williamston resident on the board of environmental group, sat on a blanket with her 8-month-old son Nicholas and watched Bogar's performance.

"Nicholas really likes this, it is his first live story told by a professional," Yorko said.

And many people say Bogar made it entertaining.

"I've fallen and I can't get up," Bogar said breathlessly after he toppled backward while performing one of his stories .

As the crowd laughed at his expressive movements, Bogar said he grabbed their attention to portray the importance of protecting the environment.

Bogar included a somber story of the Great Fire of 1881, one of Mid-Michigan's worst disasters fueled from the waste created by the lumbering industry.

Nancy Krupiarz, an officer with the environmental group and member of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, said she believes in the importance of hosting activities on Lansing's Riverwalk. Rails-to-Trails Conservancy is an organization to enrich communities by creating a network of public trails from former rail lines.

"This kind of entertainment brings you back to nature," the Haslett resident said. "Events like this are a good start, but much more needs to be done."

Emily Townsend, an 11-year-old Williamston resident, sat on a blanket and intently watched the professional storyteller at work.

"I like to hear Tim's stories because they are interesting and Tim is such a character," she said.

Christina Riddle, an Okemos resident and chairperson of the environmental group, says she hopes events such as "Story Time on the Grand" will encourage more businesses to take advantage of what the Riverwalk has to offer.

"Being able to use this space makes you feel like you are a part of a community," she said. "We are going to get this town hopping."

With duct tape still stuck to his pant legs, Bogar adjusted his microphone and took a bow to conclude his tale.

"That's my story and I'm sticking to it," he said.

Share and discuss “Telling nature's story” on social media.