Spartans won't overlook lowly Eagles

Coming off a successful opening weekend of Big Ten play, the MSU softball team hopes to keep its winning ways alive with a midweek tilt against Eastern Michigan.

Head coach Jacquie Joseph said although the Eagles (3-21 overall) are having a down year, her team should not overlook a lesser opponent.

"We need to get down there and play against the team and not the names on the jerseys," Joseph said. "Anytime you play a nonconference opponent and don't prepare properly, that's when a team can bite you."

Two Spartans picked up conference honors for outstanding performances over the weekend.

Junior pitcher Jessica Beech (15-3, 0.60 ERA) was named Big Ten Pitcher of the Week after she tallied three wins last weekend and threw complete-game shutouts against then-No. 22 Northwestern and Illinois.

Freshman catcher Elizabeth Peterson was named Big Ten co-Player of the Week after she smashed three home runs over the weekend, including a grand slam that propelled MSU to a 6-3 victory over Northwestern. She also drove in seven of the Spartans' 12 weekend runs.

Sophomore pitcher Stephanie Christner (4-4, 2.04 ERA) will be on the mound for MSU (21-9, 3-1 Big Ten) against the Eagles.

Senior centerfielder Sandy Lewis paces the offense with a .371 batting average and leads the team with 33 hits.

Lewis also shares Joseph's concerns when it comes to playing weaker opponents.

"Legitimately, any team can beat anyone on any day," she said. "We just have to go down there prepared and not play at the level of our opponent."

The first pitch is slated for 4 p.m. today at Varsity Field in Ypsilanti.

Share and discuss “Spartans won't overlook lowly Eagles” on social media.