Hurlers figure to control games

If the MSU softball team expects to continue its hot start, then it needs to be at its best at the plate.

The Spartans (24-9, 4-1 Big Ten) face some of the conference's top pitchers when it travels to face Minnesota (26-10, 4-2) and Wisconsin (13-16, 2-4) this weekend. The Spartans look for much more production out of their offense against the two teams than last season. In four games, MSU scored just one run. But the Spartans have been an improved hitting team this season. They are hitting .278, which is fifth in the Big Ten.

"They both have really tough pitching," senior shortstop Margaret Schick said. "Their offenses have been struggling, but they're good teams. It's gonna be good competition."

In a doubleheader last season, the Gophers' 1-2 punch of left-hander Angie Recknor and ace Piper Marten didn't allow MSU to score a run en route to a sweep. In the first game, they combined for a 3-0 win. In the second game, Marten pitched a one-hit complete game for a 2-0 victory.

This season, Marten is 13-7 with a 1.54 ERA and a whopping 201 strikeouts. Recknor boasts a 0.96 ERA to go along with an 12-4 record. The Badgers' hopes of winning hinge on the arm of right-hander Andrea Kirchberg (11-11). This season, the senior has fanned 210 batters and has a 0.99 ERA.

Kirchberg has gotten next to no help at the plate. As a team, Wisconsin is batting a putrid .197 in 29 contests, which is last in the conference. Minnesota isn't faring much better in the batter's box. The Gophers are hitting .271, which is ninth in the Big Ten. Since the Spartans know good pitches will be hard to come by this weekend, the team focused on taking its time at the plate and getting on base.

"You don't swing at anyone's best pitch," head coach Jacquie Joseph said. "We know going in we have to do a good job with pitch selection."

The Spartans will counter with arguably the conference's best pitcher.

Junior right-hander Jessica Beech already has a Big Ten-leading 17 wins under her belt, and looks to add more. She also leads the conference with an astounding 0.75 ERA.

Sophomore right-hander Stephanie Christner may be just 5-4, but she brings a respectable 1.96 ERA to the mound. She has struck out 58 batters in 82 1/3 innings of work.

Christner said the defense is one of the main reasons for each pitcher's success.

"The guys playing behind us have been great all year," she said. "If we do miss a spot, and (hitters) do get a hold of one, we know the defense will back us up with big plays."

With one win this weekend, MSU will have passed its total for all of last season. But Joseph doesn't see any importance in dwelling on the past.

"We don't care about last year," she said. "But after this weekend, we'll really know where we are in the Big Ten. We'll know if we're contenders or pretenders."

Share and discuss “Hurlers figure to control games” on social media.