Sunday, October 20, 2024

Week addresses African culture

The African Students Union will present African Culture Week '03 starting Wednesday with a discussion about different experiences African students have had in the United States.

The event begins at 7:30 p.m. in B104 Wells Hall.

"It's basically African students discussing their experience and the experiences they've had since they came here," said Chris Ifeanyi-Nwanze, vice president of the African Students Union. "We value culture a lot where we are."

Five different vendors will sell authentic African artifacts to the public from noon to 5 p.m. in the International Center lobby and the second floor of the Union.

"It's just an opportunity for students who have always wanted African artifacts to actually get them," Ifeanyi-Nwanze said. "It's going to be a great experience for everybody."

There will be other events going on until Saturday, including a discussion panel, "The African Diaspora in the USA and its influence on African Development," at 7-9 p.m. on Thursday in B106 Wells Hall.

The final event will be a dinner banquet complete with African cuisine, beginning at 6 p.m. on Saturday at Eastern High School auditorium, 220 N. Pennsylvania Ave. in Lansing.

For more information on African Culture Week, call Chris Ifeanyi-Nwanze at (517)214-9107.

Amy Bartner

Share and discuss “Week addresses African culture” on social media.