Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Toy program helps area children

Maryland resident Paul Thomson, right, and Lansing resident Brandon Lantz walk through Potter Park Zoo's Educational Center, 1301 Pennsylvania Ave. In Lansing, during the Wonderland of Lights Nov. 26 after donating to Toys for Tots for free admission. The U.S. Marine Corps Reserve will be collecting toys until Dec. 16.

Lansing - Donating an unwrapped toy to the Lansing-area Toys for Tots program might make an area child's holiday a little brighter.

With the community's help, U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Maj. Jeff Knudson says he is confident organizers will surpass last year's collection of 31,517 toys, which were passed on to nearly 11,000 Lansing-area children.

This year's collection, which concludes Dec. 16, is organized by the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve.

During the past 12 years, Marines have distributed an average of 9.7 million toys each year to an average of 4.5 million children nationwide.

Last week, General Motors Corp. donated more than 700 toys and presented a check worth more than $32,000 to Toys for Tots at the event's kickoff at Potter Park Zoo, 1301 S. Pennsylvania Ave. in Lansing.

Lansing Mayor David Hollister says donations are evidence of the community's generosity.

"Our community has been doing well financially, but there are some families who are at or below the poverty level," Hollister said. "We don't want to leave any child behind."

Along with donating toys and enjoying the colorful lights gracing the zoo's Wonderland of Lights celebration, some children received an up-close view of the Marine Corps Reserve's 2001 Hummer.

Marine Corp. John F. Wagner drove the Hummer up from Chicago for the event. The truck is displayed at Marine events across the Midwest.

Lansing residents and brothers Jordan Lynch, 4, and Christian Lynch, 6, said they liked sitting in the red truck as holiday music played on the stereo.

Carol Webster, Potter Park Zoological Society director, says the zoo is glad to host Toys for Tots. "We think it's the perfect place to donate for kids because the zoo is a family place," she said. "With all the families coming it's just natural to bring a toy."

Toys also can be donated at any fire station or business that displays a Toys for Tots Disney poster.

Share and discuss “Toy program helps area children” on social media.