Saturday, October 19, 2024

Student voted onto committee

For the first time in several years, a student will take the position of co-chairperson of a standing Academic Council committee - a position usually held by MSU faculty members.

The University Committee on Academic Governance, made up of MSU faculty, students and administrators, elected Kristen Daddow to fill the co-chairperson seat Tuesday. Daddow is the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources representative in ASMSU’s Academic Assembly.

But Daddow said she never expected to win the position.

“It’s extremely, extremely rare for a student to chair an Academic Council committee,” she said. “I’ve never heard of it.”

Daddow’s is the only member of MSU’s undergraduate student government to be a chairperson of a committe.

Daddow said the only exception is the University Committee on Student Affairs, where students are commonly chosen to lead the committee, but no choice has been made yet this year.

The University Committee on Academic Governance meets monthly to discuss and interpret the bylaws of the Academic Governance systems.

“We kind of look for loopholes and make sure everything’s very clear,” Daddow said.

As co-chairperson, Daddow will lead the meetings and answer any questions the secretary can’t.

“I just kind of facilitate conversation,” she said.

Academic Assembly Chairperson Matt Clayson said Daddow had more than enough experience to serve as co-chairperson. In her three years as a representative for ASMSU, she showed staff and faculty she had a strong voice and is a strong member in the assembly, he said.

“I’m pretty sure that this is one of the first times a student has been co-chair,” he said. “You have to be a real strong person to be elected as chair.”

It’s also uncommon for the committee to vote two people to its top position.

The vote was tied 6-6 between plant biology professor Ralph Taggart and Daddow when the idea of making them co-chairs was brought up.

Adam Raezler, the James Madison representative for Academic Assembly, said it’s a plus having Daddow work alongside Taggart.

“She’s very, very involved,” said Raezler, who also serves on the committee. “She’s not one of those people who sits there and doesn’t say anything and waits until the three-hour meeting is over. The faculty know her and trust her.”

Taggart said he’s looking forward to working with Daddow.

“The committee has always worked well with students and faculty together, and I think this is good representation of that,” he said.

Share and discuss “Student voted onto committee” on social media.