Saturday, October 19, 2024

Funding problems close Butterfly House

These are a few of the butterflies left in the Butterfly House. The Butterfly House was closed June 1 due to a lack of funding. In late October or November of this year an indoor addition of the 4-H Children

The Butterfly House closed its wings and was laid to rest in early July because of funding and spatial problems.

The combination of demand for the greenhouse space on campus and lack of funding from the Department of Plant Pathology has forced the house to be close indefinitely.

“It’s not as high a priority as keeping tuition down,” said John Mugg, MSU Botany Greenhouse manager and former manager of the Butterfly House, but he said it was a great place for students.

“It was a wonderful way to teach,” he said.

The Butterfly House was located in the Plant and Soil Sciences Building teaching greenhouses prior to July 1. The 4-H Children’s Gardens will take over the space in early November. There will be a six-week spring butterfly exhibit, but on a smaller scale.

“We’ll probably put a little more focus on the sciences going on there,” said Norm Lownds, curator for the Michigan 4-H Children’s Gardens. “We’re trying to make the best out of this situation.”

The Butterfly House began its existence as a small egg of an idea formed from Mugg’s love of horticulture. In 1991, he organized a collaboration between the entomology, horticulture and plant pathology departments to open a tour-friendly establishment. The goal was to teach the relationship between insects and plants with an interactive approach.

“What better way to do it than with butterflies?” Mugg said. “You’ve got a room full of bees, no one wants to go in there.”

When the egg hatched, and the Butterfly House, located in a greenhouse south of the Old Horticulture Building, entered its first stage of metamorphosis.

“He poured his heart and soul into that,” said Philip Lamoureux director of the Student Greenhouse Project.

The Student Greenhouse Project aims to build a greenhouse independent of any department for the public to enjoy. The project began in 1997 after the original greenhouse Mugg had developed was torn down but has found it hard to come upon funding.

“It’s sad that another one of John Mugg’s heartfelt and collaborative efforts is dying,” Lamoureux said.

If Mugg wanted to introduce another species he would bring fully grown butterflies into the environment.

The original butterfly house was home to mostly Julia, zebra and monarch butterflies. And the growth process took place entirely within its walls.

But in 1997, the Butterfly House felt some growing pains when the university deemed the 74 year-old greenhouses a liability and the building had to be leveled. The Butterfly House had to move to a smaller cocoon, as Mugg moved it temporarily to the Plant and Soil Sciences Building teaching greenhouses until it could receive money for a new facility.

“It was basically on a downward spiral at that point,” Lamoureux said.

The butterfly flight area for the new house, 750 square feet, was significantly smaller than its predecessor, which was 9,000 square feet. Although the space was smaller, the house stretched its wings and flourished for five years before coming to a close.

Mugg and his staff members working on the Butterfly House effort had hoped to have a new building completed in 2005. Mugg said it might not happen now, but he’s thankful for the opportunity he was given.

“I’m really bummed, but I had a lot of good times there,” he said. “And you can’t take away that.”

Share and discuss “Funding problems close Butterfly House” on social media.