All-Star festivities entertain community

Home run derby highlights pregame activities for fans

From left Anna Day, 8, Bill Day, and Allison Day, 6, from South Bend, Indiana, attended the 2002 Midwest League All-Star Game at Olsmobile Park Tuesday night. “We’ve been to this park four times, but this is our first all-star game,” Bill Day said. —

Lansing - The 2002 Midwest League All-Star Game attracted everybody and their mother to Oldsmobile Park Tuesday night.

The annual event, which showcased 63 of the top prospects in the league this year, was much more than a game.

As attendants entered they were given inflatable plastic noisemakers to create an enthusiastic environment and the recipients wasted little time putting them to use.

Prior to the summer classic, fans swarmed the All Stars to capture their autographs on baseballs, baseball caps and programs.

Many people attended to take in the game, but just as many were at the park to take in at least one of the side attractions.

Lansing native Shawn Gilmore, who tries to take in at least five Lugnuts’ games a season, was one of the many individuals taking part in pregame festivities.

Although he didn’t know any of the players from the Kane County Cougars or Beloit Snappers, he was more than eager to get their signatures. When asked why, he simply replied, “They’re All Stars.”

But Gilmore had one attraction in mind after the autographs - the fireworks. The home run derby didn’t even come to mind when he left his house for the game.

“I didn’t know there was one today,” the 16-year-old said. “I didn’t know anything that was going on today. I just knew that there were fireworks.”

Ovid resident Brian Odle was not as eager to get autographs from the players.

“I don’t really feel like waiting in the lines right now,” the 17-year-old said. “I’m not too familiar with these players.

“I just thought it would be fun to get out with my grandpa. I’ve been waiting for this one for a while.”

It was a family affair for many. Parents led their kids around from table to table to meet players more than likely didn’t know.

After the small-talk and autographs were finished, the home run derby ensued.

The four-man derby had three All Stars representing the Western division - Peoria’s Gabe Johnson, Kane County’s Jason Stokes and Beloit’s Brad Nelson - and just one representing the Eastern division - Michigan’s Steve Checksfield.

The derby didn’t start with a bang as Stokes managed just one dinger within his 10 outs limit. Next up was Checksfield, who managed to put up a number lower than Stokes - zero.

As the crowd grew restless, Johnson and Nelson opened the flood gates with six and five home runs a piece, respectively.

The two sluggers advanced to the seven-out second round.

Johnson managed just one homer in round two, while Nelson captured the title and $200 with four long balls.

Lansing residents Patty and Tom Hendricks enjoy attending Lugnuts games, but the couple said this will be the highlight of the season.

“We come to a few games during the year,” Patty Hendricks said. “But this, we really wanted to see.

“This is the first time we’ve been able to make it to an all-star game. So we’re excited.”

Tom Hendricks said the All-Star Game itself will provide plenty of excitement, but the side attractions add to the festivities.

“The home run derby and all the things in between innings, that’s what we’re here for,” he said.

“We’re going to be looking at the best today.”

Share and discuss “All-Star festivities entertain community” on social media.