Thursday, October 3, 2024

Community center ready to open

Line-dance instructor Joyce Nelson demonstrates a dance move to her class on Tuesday afternoon at the East Lansing Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbott Road. Nelson said that, “dancing people are happy people.” The East Lansing Hannah Community Center will open its doors to the public Friday after going through renovations.

The Hannah Community Center blends classrooms and lockers from the past with modern computers and shining green floors.

New wood trim surrounds glass cases on the second-floor lobby, where the work of local artists will be put on display, and wrought iron railings and lighting were installed to keep with the building’s original 1926 design.

All of the center’s features, new and old, will be open to the public to view during its grand opening at 5:30 p.m. Friday.

The 75-year-old building at 819 Abbott Road - which once served as the East Lansing High School and later as a middle school - has been updated with a dance studio, computer labs, a swimming pool and other amenities.

The East Lansing School District closed the building in 1997, consolidating its middle school students at MacDonald Middle School, 1601 Burcham Drive.

The center’s makeover was made possible through donations and a $7 million bond passed by East Lansing voters in 1998.

“What we try to do is give people opportunities in this community,” Mayor Mark Meadows said.

While a few school lockers remain along the walls and some original woodwork has been polished in the classrooms, major changes of a senior center and teen center have been added.

“I think those people that went to school there or sent their children there will see some drastic changes,” Mayor Pro Tem Sam Singh said.

And while slowdowns in construction kept the center from opening in December, Singh said the council is pleased with it.

While no businesses or groups have set dates to use the facility, Ami Field, events planner for the center said interest is growing.

“There is a lot of potential for neat things to be and happen here.”

Share and discuss “Community center ready to open” on social media.