Friday, October 18, 2024

Forum discusses student trustee

On Tuesday, ASMSU will host its second forum to discuss having a voting student seat on the MSU Board of Trustees - and this time members hope it will be more productive.

MSU’s undergraduate government held its last forum on the first day of classes this semester. In the earlier forum, only about a dozen people participated.

Monica Leslie, a College of Communications Arts and Sciences representative for Academic Assembly, said she has taken more of a grass-roots approach to get the word out this time.

“I have done a lot of research and I’m a lot more prepared,” Leslie said.

The communication sophomore said she has contacted other student trustees at Big Ten universities to learn how they obtained their positions and how long their terms are.

She added it’s important for students to participate because the decision on whether to continue the project will be made after Tuesday’s forum.

“This will be the deciding factor,” she said. “I’ve put so much time and energy into this and I don’t want to put more time and effort into something that students won’t support.”

Leslie has sent out invitations to MSU board members, faculty and administrators.

Trustee Dee Cook said it’s important to hear the students’ voice, but having a voting seat could be complex.

She said the morning discussion sessions open to students before regular board meetings are a great idea and provide board members with a student perspective.

“I really like having students involved,” Cook said. “They are usually very bright kids with different points of view - I very much support the morning session.”

But Cook said the potential turnover rate and need to change the state Constitution are barriers to having a voting student seat.

“I thought eight years is forever and you’re constantly learning new things,” she said. “Not enough can be said about experience.”

She said a student trustee seat would have more turnover and would be counterproductive.

Academic Assembly Chairperson Matt Clayson said Leslie’s effort should be commended and students need to care about it.

“I encourage students to be passionate, because these are the people who are making our decisions, and we should be a part of that process,” he said.

Share and discuss “Forum discusses student trustee” on social media.