Do not purchase subscriptions

I wasn’t surprised to read Amanda Smith’s letter on the scamming magazine men from New River Subscription Services (“Scheme bothers hall residents,” SN 10/26).

You see, I, too, was a scammed freshman. Scammed by the same company, only a year prior. I happily bought my boyfriend a two-year subscription to Hot Rod Magazine, with the added benefit of helping a seemingly nice guy win a trip to some exotic island. When after two months, still no subscriptions had reached my boyfriend, I took action and eventually got results.

Having kept my receipts and my check stub, I repeatedly called the New River Subscription Services company, and like most of the other plaintiffs, got a busy signal. At that point I sent a scathing letter to the company, accompanied by my wishes that they either send the subscription along pronto or return my money. I included in the letter copies of both the receipts and the check stub.

Having still not received an answer three weeks later, I called the company again, finally reaching a representative who informed me that they had indeed received my letter and sent out the first month’s magazine already. My boyfriend did eventually get his subscription, but all the same, I would have much rather gone through the company itself to save all of the hassle. The ordeal that I and seemingly countless of other people went through in dealing with that company is outrageous. If any of the people reading this can walk away knowing just one thing, let it be that they should not, under any circumstance, buy a subscription from the New River Subscription Services.

Maggie Menezes
anthropology sophomore

Share and discuss “Do not purchase subscriptions” on social media.