Saturday, August 23, 2014

Krug named CCHA Player of the Year

By Dillon Davis          Posted: 03/16/12 3:53pm         

Of the honors bestowed upon Torey Krug this season, the award he won Thursday perhaps the biggest.

Just a week after being named a member of the All-CCHA First Team, the junior defenseman Krug was named RBC Financial Group CCHA Player of the Year at the annual CCHA Awards Show on Thursday at the Fox Theatre in Detroit. Krug also was awarded the CCHA Best Offensive Defenseman honor for the second consecutive year.

Krug becomes the first defenseman to win CCHA Player of the Year in 25 years and the first since Wayne Gagne did it in 1987.

“Obviously, this is a great honor,” Krug said in a statement released by the athletics department. “I have to thank my teammates and coaches for putting me in a position to be honored by our conference coaches. Hockey is the ultimate team game, and I could not have achieved anything this year without the hard work and support of my teammates and coaching staff.”

In a career year for the Spartans, Krug had 12 goals and 21 assists for 33 points, which is good for seventh in the conference in scoring, eighth in assists and 19th in goals scored.

According to the athletics department, Krug is the program’s fifth ever CCHA Player of the Year honoree, joining Kip Miller (1990), Dwayne Norris (1992), Chad Alban (1998), Mike York (1999) and Ryan Miller (2001, 2002).

Below is the full list of the players and coaches honored at Thursday’s award ceremony:

RBC Player of the Year: Torey Krug, MSU
Coach of the Year: Bob Daniels, Ferris State
Rookie of the Year: Alex Guptill, Michigan
Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Chad Billins, Ferris State
Terry Flanagan: Domenic Monardo, Lake Superior State
Ilitch Humanitarian: Cody Reichard, Miami (Ohio)
Best Offensive Defenseman: Torey Krug, MSU
Best Defensive Defenseman: Dan DeKeyser, Western Michigan
Best Defensive Forward: Luke Glendening, Michigan