Freshman Q&A: Trevor Nill

By Alex DiFilippo          Posted: 10/20/08 7:20pm         

Freshman Trevor Nill already has a gold medal.

He earned the medal when he was selected for Team Canada West at the World Junior A Challenge.

The 6-foot-2 forward from Novi grew up around an NHL organization and brings extensive hockey knowledge to the Spartans roster, as his father is the assistant manager of the Detroit Red Wings.

Nill earned his first collegiate point in the Spartans’ first game of the season with an assist in the 3-1 victory over Massachusetts in the Ice Breaker Invitational.

In juniors, Nill appeared in 53 games for the Penticton Vees of the British Columbia Junior Hockey League and scored five goals and had six assists.

Nill plays very physically and isn’t afraid to go down into the corners. But he is more than just an enforcer. He has a solid set of hands to match his hard-hitting style of play.

Here’s what the freshman had to say about coming to MSU, his freshman tasks and the impact coach Rick Comley has on the team.

The State News: Did you know you wanted to come to MSU all along?

Trevor Nill: It was never guaranteed that I wanted to come here. But my sister came here about four years ago and I started to see the atmosphere and how there’s always something exciting going on here. I kind of picked it up from her and when I came here to visit it was just an unreal experience and great atmosphere. So I just decided from then on that this was the place to be.

SN: Have any of the upperclassmen in particular been really helpful?

TN It’s hard to single any one of them out. They have all been so great to us. They really have taken us under their wing and showed us the ropes — whether it’s school or hockey or even where to live next year. It’s great to be around an atmosphere like that where they all can step in and give you advice on something.

SN: Do you have any random tasks around the rink that come from being a freshman?

TN: It’s common courtesy to pick up the pucks after practice and stuff like that and let the vets go first when we are eating because they really have paid their time. But it really is a team atmosphere and that’s really important. So there aren’t really too many things.

SN: How is it playing with coach Comley on the bench?

TN: It was such a great experience. He’s so calm and very organized. He directs you where to go out and when you are going out. It really calms everyone on the bench and gets you into a rhythm and a flow. It’s truly a great experience to be on the bench with him.