Wednesday, May 1, 2024

MSU student charged with 5 criminal counts

<p>Carmack</p>

Carmack

A $10,000 personal recognizance, or PR, bond was set following Brandon Carmack’s arraignment Wednesday.

The advertising junior has been charged with two counts of assault and battery, one count of domestic assault and battery, one count of filing a false police report of a felony and one count of stalking, Ingham County prosecutor Stuart Dunnings III said.

The charges follow an investigation from police involving an assault that took place Aug. 28 in the 600 block of Grand River Avenue.

Capt. Bill Mitchell of East Lansing Police Department, or ELPD, confirmed Carmack turned himself in prior to 1 p.m. Wednesday for arraignment.

ELPD Sgt. Carl Nowak said terms of PR bonds vary by judge and charges, but the accused doesn’t have to pay any money to get released. He or she must follow the terms of the signed PR bond or pay the set fee.

When The State News called Carmack on Wednesday, he refused to comment because of the nature of the case.

In previous interviews, Carmack alleged he was kicked, beaten and stabbed with either scissors or keys by members of the MSU hockey team, resulting in broken bones, bruises and a puncture wound.

After receiving medical attention, he said he had five stitches put in his lip and several staples in his head.

Carmack previously told The State News he did not exactly know how the assailants were tied to the MSU hockey team, nor could he identify specific players.

Dunnings wouldn’t discuss details about the investigation or the validity of Carmack’s previous statements.

A press release from Dunnings said a pretrial is scheduled for Sept. 25, and a preliminary exam is scheduled for Sept. 28.

Share and discuss “MSU student charged with 5 criminal counts” on social media.