Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Humbling Defeat

Spartan offense struggles all night as team drops first home game since 2009

Head coach Mark Dantonio said it was a “tough day at the office.” Junior linebacker Max Bullough called it an “eye-opener.” Offensive coordinator Dan Roushar said it was “frustrating.”

No matter the terminology used to describe No. 21 MSU’s 20-3 home loss to No. 11 Notre Dame, one thing is clear — the Spartans have a lot of patchwork to do before they take the field again next Saturday.

The Fighting Irish were able to stifle MSU’s efforts on offense, holding the Spartans to 237 total yards and no touchdowns.

The Irish jumped out to a 14-0 lead early on, taking an 11-point spread into halftime and changing MSU’s game plan.

Junior running back Le’Veon Bell carried the ball 15 times for 64 yards in the first half, but only received four more carries in the second, as MSU had to play catchup through the air.

The strategy didn’t pay off, as the Spartans were unable to manufacture a play longer than 19 yards. The problem was exacerbated by poor field position, as MSU did not reach the red zone once all game.

“It was most definitely disappointing,” Bell said of his team’s notable absence near the end zones. “It’s something you’ve got to learn from and continue to get better.”

Junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell struggled with the pressure brought on by Notre Dame’s relentless blitzing. Of his 23 completions, most came while he was on the run from the Irish’s front seven, and he often had no time to look downfield for the big play.

Still, despite Maxwell’s inability to spark the offense, Roushar expressed faith in his inexperienced quarterback.

“This is his third game and his third start,” Roushar said. “He will do nothing but get better because of how he works at it.”

The Spartans will return to action next Saturday at 3:30 p.m. when they face Eastern Michigan at Spartan Stadium.

Share and discuss “Humbling Defeat” on social media.