Breaking down pivotal MSU vs. Ohio State matchup

MSU football reporters Jesse O’Brien and Josh Mansour preview the weekend’s Big Ten matchup between MSU and Ohio State at Spartan Stadium. After struggling to beat Eastern Michigan a week ago, head coach Mark Dantonio and the Spartans aim for revenge in their conference opener against Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes.

MSU rushing offense (55) vs. Ohio State run defense (34)
MSU averages 176.25 rushing yards per game, while Ohio State surrenders 117.5 rushing yards per game

Le’Veon Bell has been the Spartans’ offensive workhorse, punishing opposing defenses for the second-most rushing yards in the country. The junior running back and his productive offensive line will have their hands full with an Ohio State front seven that’s holding opponents to an average of less than four yards per carry.

Advantage: Michigan State

MSU passing offense (61) vs. Ohio State pass defense (107)
MSU averages 229 passing yards per game, while Ohio State surrenders 277.3 passing yards per game.

Ohio State has one of the country’s worst pass defenses, with opposing quarterbacks completing nearly 63 percent of their passes. It should be a welcome sign for junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell and the Spartans’ receivers, who struggled to find a rhythm during the nonconference season.

Advantage: Even

Ohio State passing offense (99) vs. MSU pass defense (13)
Ohio State averages 197.8 passing yards per game, while MSU surrenders 164.2 passing yards per game.

Although Braxton Miller isn’t as dynamic through the air as he is on the ground, the sophomore still can beat defenses with his arm. The cornerback duo of junior Darqueze Dennard and senior Johnny Adams is one of the nation’s best and will make life difficult for Ohio State’s young quarterback.

Advantage: Michigan State

Ohio State rushing offense (24) vs. MSU run defense (10)
Ohio State averages 229.25 rushing yards per game, while MSU surrenders 69.25 rushing yards per game

Sophomore quarterback Braxton Miller leads a potent Buckeye rushing attack capable of going the distance on every play. The Spartans have been strong against the run this year, but they haven’t faced a threat similar to Miller. MSU will be able to contain the sophomore, but one big run from Miller could change the game.

Advantage: Ohio State

Special Teams

Both teams have been pedestrian on special teams, ranking in the bottom third of the Big Ten in most categories. Senior kicker Dan Conroy has missed a field goal in each of the Spartans’ four games, but made three in a row to end last weekend’s victory over Eastern Michigan. Junior kicker Drew Basil has only been called on to attempt one field goal, and neither team is getting much out of the return game.

Advantage: Even

Prediction

A matchup of the Big Ten’s highest-ranked teams will be very close, especially with both defenses performing at such a high level. MSU has the better defense, but this game will come down to explosive plays, which the Spartans have been unable to generate, and the Buckeyes have the game’s most explosive player. One big play from Miller swings a close game to the Buckeyes.

Prediction: Ohio State 13, MSU 9

Share and discuss “Breaking down pivotal MSU vs. Ohio State matchup” on social media.