Monday, October 21, 2024

ASMSU develops sportsmanship task force

MSU’s football student section and the international student fee increase were again topics of discussion for ASMSU this week.

A task force to deal with issues of sportsmanship with MSU fans was developed in MSU’s undergraduate student government Policy Committee on Thursday.

“This is the assembly taking control of this issue,” said Evan Martinak, ASMSU president and chairman.

Martinak said the task force would meet to handle issues of sportsmanlike conduct from fans for a month at their discretion, or as long as the general assembly deems it necessary.

Committee Chairperson Tyler Rafferty said the choice to develop the task force was a good idea in light of the discussion at last week’s ASMSU meeting.

Last week, the ASMSU General Assembly showed concern over the use of chants, such as “He’s a p***y,” at the MSU-Notre Dame game.

Also Thursday, ASMSU’s Academic Affairs Committee began to discuss recent concerns about the international student fee increase this past summer.

The fee increased from $25 to $75 per semester for international graduate students, from $25 to $500 per semester for first-year international undergraduate students and from $25 to $150 per semester for the remainder of international undergraduates, according to a previous State News article.

The committee passed a motion to conduct further research on the subject because they felt current answers about international students making up for the taxes they do not pay weren’t enough.

“This meeting took place over the summer when most of the international students wouldn’t be present,” said Rajeeth Devanand, International Students Association representative. “I wanted ASMSU to do something about this.”

Devanand said although many international students are “rich,” some attend MSU on a scholarship and having to pay up to $1,000 more each year might mean they cannot continue their education at MSU.

Residence Halls Association, or RHA, representative Nick Stanek also voiced concerns with international students not being involved with the decision to raise the fee.

“You guys didn’t really have a voice in this decision,” Stanek said.

Share and discuss “ASMSU develops sportsmanship task force” on social media.