Saturday, June 22, 2024

E.L. city council begins new member search

<p><b>Don Power</b></p>

Don Power

The East Lansing City Council must select a replacement for departing council member Don Power by Sept. 21 following a unanimous vote at a council meeting Tuesday night.

Power previously submitted a letter of resignation to the city Aug. 22.

The council is following the same procedure it did in 2006, when it had to replace former mayor Mark Meadows, who resigned to run for the state Legislature.

After a 10-day period for potential candidates to submit their applications, televised interviews will begin, with time for the public to comment afterward. The city charter states that a replacement must be appointed by Sept. 21, 30 days after Power’s resignation.

Council hopes to have a replacement selected by its meeting Sept. 18.

“There’s legitimacy and confidence in a process that is open and transparent,” Mayor Pro Tem Nathan Triplett said at the meeting.

In a personal statement, Power outlined the reasons why he left office.

“Many things have been accomplished during my tenure on city council,” Power said in his statement. “But it has become apparent that my ability to effectively bring about change has been shut down.”

Power expressed feelings of being out-voted on council, as well as his vote becoming obsolete.
He also expressed concerns about the council’s preparations and approach to regional matters, such as the consolidation of the Lansing area fire departments.

Despite Power’s concerns, Triplett said prior to the meeting that in regard to regionalism, the council is addressing the matter appropriately.

“If you look at the facts of how we’ve addressed regional cooperation, this council has been cautious and deliberate about any sort of regional consolidation, ideologically if it’s good or bad,” Triplett said.

Power said in the statement he plans to stay involved in current city affairs, including City Center II and a proposed public library millage.

Share and discuss “E.L. city council begins new member search” on social media.