Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Wrestlers compete in Olympic trials, fail to earn bid

MSU wrestling junior heavyweight Steve Andrus’ bid to compete in the 2012 London Olympics ended Saturday night when he dropped the championship match in the 120 kilogram Greco-Roman wrestling Olympic trials to Dremiel Byers of the U.S. Army.

Andrus initially was invited to Iowa City, Iowa as a wildcard participant but won three straight matches and the challenge bracket to face off against Byers — a 2008 Olympian — in the finals. In the best of three series, Andrus fell in two straight matches and had to settle for a second place finish.

Wrestling as a heavyweight in his junior season with the Spartans, Andrus compiled a 24-16 overall record and placed sixth in the Big Ten Championships, earning him a berth to the NCAA finals.

Although Andrus did not qualify, MSU still had a chance to be represented in the 2012 games when former Spartan wrestler Nick Simmons made it to the final matchup the freestyle 55 kilogram division.

However, he fell to Sam Hazewinkel in the final match of a best of three series, sealing his fate for the 2012 games.

Simmons was a four-time All-American and three-time Big Ten Champion during his time at MSU.

Share and discuss “Wrestlers compete in Olympic trials, fail to earn bid” on social media.