City Council approves new apartments on Michigan Avenue

?Next spring, students might have a new option for housing, after the East Lansing City Council unanimously approved an application for the construction of apartments across from West Circle during its Tuesday night meeting.

?During the meeting at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road, Darcy Schmitt, planing-zoning adminstrator of the City of East Lansing, described new apartments that would be built on the property of 514 Michigan Ave.

?The four-story building will be composed of 1,200 square feet of retail space, with 16 four-bedroom apartments on the remaining three floors, for a total of 64 beds.

?Dale Inman, managing partner of Wolf River Development Company, LLC, said construction will begin this summer, and will be a modern interpretation of the West Circle residence halls across the street.

?Mayor Pro Tem Nathan Triplett said he personally complimented the applicants on ensuring the coordination between businesses in East Lansing and MSU.

?“They will be purpose-built for students,” Inman said. “We’re excited to be a part of this project. Students deserve new housing.”

?Because of potential parking issues, the space below the apartments will most likely be used as office space or smart art displays or galleries.

?The property was originally the home of a gas station in the 1950s, then converted into a pizza ?place in the 70s and has been the site of a print shop since.

?Schmitt said one of the main concerns for the new apartments would be parking. Based on the number of units, the required amount of parking spaces would be 44. But Schmitt said the applicants for the project feel confident marketing the apartments with only 31 available parking spots.

?Possible solutions include off-site parking, and Schmitt said coordinators of the project were confident several students living in the apartments would not need cars on site.

Share and discuss “City Council approves new apartments on Michigan Avenue” on social media.