Rathje earns AVCA All-Mideast Region honors

Senior outside hitter Jenilee Rathje reacts to play Wednesday at Jenison Field House. The Spartans defeated the Michigan Wolverines 3-1. Matt Radick/The State News
Senior outside hitter Jenilee Rathje reacts to play Wednesday at Jenison Field House. The Spartans defeated the Michigan Wolverines 3-1. Matt Radick/The State News —
Photo by Matt Radick | and Matt Radick The State News

For the first time since 2007, an MSU volleyball player was named to the AVCA All-Mideast Region team.

The honor was the latest in a string of awards for senior outside hitter Jenilee Rathje, who recently was named a unanimous All-Big Ten first team selection.

Rathje led the Spartans in kills this season with 503, which also was good enough for third in the Big Ten. The number ranks Rathje at tenth in Spartan history for kills in one season.

Although the Spartans fell in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last weekend, Rathje led the team to one of its best seasons in recent history, notching 22 wins for the first time since 1998.

Rathje also is a potential AVCA All-American candidate, which will be released in the coming weeks.

Share and discuss “Rathje earns AVCA All-Mideast Region honors” on social media.