Saturday, October 26, 2024

New Wells Hall receives mixed reactions

Edgar Boettcher Mason Contractor, Inc. employee Lukus Blackford welds a beam Tuesday afternoon at Well's Hall. Ground was broken on the project in September 2010 and is expected to be complete by August 2012. Matt Hallowell/The State News

As students frequent the newly opened Starbucks on the first floor of Wells Hall, they will soon be able to utilize the rest of the building.

The construction underway in Wells Hall is on pace to be completed by the August 2012 timetable, and the project is meeting the original budget, said Karen Zelt, communications manager for the Physical Plant.

Workers currently are finishing the exterior enclosure on the east side of the building, Zelt said.

“Right now they’re focusing on wrapping up the enclosure — the outside of the building, which includes stone and the glass windows,” she said. “That should be done within three weeks.”

Painting is being finished on the second floor, and drywall is being installed on the third and fourth floors, Zelt said.

“They’re doing overhead work … (preparing) all of the things in the ceilings you never see,” she said.

Interior mechanical work and elevator installation still is ongoing. Japanese junior Kathryn Huff said she frequents the Starbucks in Wells Hall that opened this semester because of its convenience.

“It’s taken all my money,” Huff said. “I have so many classes in Wells now, there (wasn’t) anything near for coffee (before.)”

The purpose of the Wells renovations is to be the new home of offices currently located in Morrill Hall, which is scheduled to be demolished in 2013.

There is no new progress on what will happen at the site of Morrill Hall or an exact date for demolition, Zelt said.

Associate professor of film Jeff Wray said Morrill holds sentimental value to him, considering his office has been housed in the hall since he came to MSU in 2001.

Wray named the location, size of his office and aesthetic beauty as reasons for why he doesn’t want to part ways the building. His new office will be in Wells but not in one of the recently renovated areas, Wray said.

“In terms of interior architecture, there’s no comparison — Morrill is art, and Wells is almost strictly functional,” he said. “I personally feel a little bit cheated. If we’re going to move out of here, at least give us a new building.”

Share and discuss “New Wells Hall receives mixed reactions” on social media.