Friends remember Charboneau’s optimism

When social work and anthropology senior Matt Niemi would come home after a long day of going to work and class, he always had one thing to look forward to — his friend Nick Charboneau sitting on the couch, ready to lift his spirits.

Whether it was a story or a random bit of information, Charboneau knew how to cheer someone up, Niemi said, even if he was the source of the stress.

“He had that charming smile,” Niemi said. “You would be pissed at him, and he would give you that smile. You couldn’t help but forgive him.”

Charboneau, a psychology senior, died unexpectedly earlier this week. His body was found by his roommate, human biology senior Sara Wennersten, at about 3 p.m. that afternoon. Wennersten found him lying on his bedroom floor and discovered he was not breathing.

She called paramedics immediately, but they pronounced him dead on arrival. Officials said they believe Charboneau died the night before, but the results of his autopsy are pending. Foul play is not suspected.

Niemi first met Charboneau in 2008 through a mutual friend. Niemi was a sophomore, and Charboneau was a freshman, and Niemi said although they had their fair share of differences, they hit things off right away.

Niemi said Charboneau was quiet and reserved at first, but once he got to know someone, he could talk to them about anything, and he never was afraid to speak his mind.

Around his friends, Charboneau was an easygoing guy, always keeping his cool in high-stress situations and often acting as a calming voice, hospitality business senior Rebecca Doster said.

But his laid-back demeanor did not detract from his sincerity. Doster, who knew Charboneau since they were both freshmen, said she always could count on him in a time of need.

“He cares about people a lot,” she said. “He would help you out if you were in trouble. When you’re talking, you can tell he cares about what you’re saying.”

Charboneau’s father, Steven Pfeffer, said Charboneau had personal struggles in high school and when he began college, but he used such challenges to help others.

“He obviously had a lot of struggles in the past, but in the last few years he was doing well,” Pfeffer said. “He really wanted to give back and see a value (in his struggles). We really thought he was going to use his pain to help others.”

Once Charboneau discovered his passion for psychology, it provided a sense of direction in his life Pfeffer said.

During the spring 2011 semester, Charboneau had achieved a 4.0 in all his classes and was on pace to do the same this semester, Niemi said. Charboneau also received high marks on his study abroad classes this summer in London.

Although he spent much of his free time watching documentaries and marathons of his favorite reality TV shows, such as “COPS” and “Jersey Shore”, he took care of business when he needed to, Wennersten said.

He planned on attending graduate school for a master’s degree in psychology and ultimately becoming a counselor to help troubled youth.

“He’s been through a lot of stuff.” Niemi said. “He just wanted to relate to kids who were in similar situations. He wanted to give them the knowledge he has now that he wishes he had before.”

Zoology sophomore Lena Sanfilippo said Charboneau wanted to help people he felt were “tortured souls,” people who he felt a connection with.

Sanfilippo met Charboneau at the beginning of the semester after a friend introduced them. She said although he had demons that he could not share, even with his friends, he had the ability to bring happiness to those who knew him.

“When I first met him, I just thought he was such a good person. He had such a good heart, and I could tell that right away,” she said. “The happiness he brought to me will last me the rest of my life. I’m just going to miss being with him.”

Charboneau’s family will hold viewings from 2-4 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. Thursday at the Heeney-“Sundquist Funeral Home”:http://heeney-sundquist.com/, 23720 Farmington Road, Farmington, Mich.

The funeral mass will be held at 11 a.m. Friday at St. Owen Catholic Church, 6855 Franklin Road, Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

Continue checking The State News for more updates on this story.

Share and discuss “Friends remember Charboneau’s optimism” on social media.