Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Dantonio, Enos share long coaching history

The long history between MSU head coach Mark Dantonio and Central Michigan head coach Dan Enos makes preparing for Saturday’s game that much more difficult.

“It’s tough when you’re on opposing teams playing against somebody who is a friend of yours,” Dantonio said at his press conference Tuesday. “(I) have a lot of respect for him, his football knowledge and the way he has handled his program. But you’ve got to get after business this week.”

Enos spent five years under the tutelage of Dantonio — two at Cincinnati and three at MSU coaching quarterbacks, running backs and recruiting — where they became close friends.

An opportunity came along after the 2009 season for Enos to become head coach at Central Michigan, and he took it. In a teleconference, Enos reflected on his relationship with Dantonio.

“He’s been a huge mentor for me and an unbelievable person,” Enos said of Dantonio. “Him and his wife have treated my family unbelievably well. I appreciate everything he’s done for me.”

The Dearborn, Mich., native is used to running through the Spartan Stadium tunnel with the 70,000-plus fans screaming, but it will be the first time he is a part of the opposing team.

Enos played quarterback at MSU and was the starting signal caller for the 1990 Big Ten Championship team. He then returned from 1991-93 as a graduate assistant and finally for one more stint, leaving Cincinnati in 2006 to return to East Lansing.

So his connections run deep, but Enos said those are the furthest things on his mind as he prepares his team for Saturday.

“I’m not thinking about (the emotions of returning to MSU) at all,” Enos told the Lansing State Journal. “I don’t have any personal feelings for it. I’m just trying to pick up the pieces after losing 44-14 to Western Michigan.”

As the Chippewas have struggled in Enos’ first two seasons — a 4-11 overall record so far — the Spartans have taken a leap forward, and it is hard to say if MSU would be where it is today without Enos.

During his tenure, he was heavily involved in recruiting the defending Big Ten Champion offense that will fight against his team this weekend. Senior wide receiver Keshawn Martin, junior running backs Larry Caper and Edwin Baker, sophomore tight end Dion Sims and senior quarterback Kirk Cousins all are at MSU largely because of Enos.

“He was the guy who recruited me and got me to Michigan State,” Cousins said. “I think without Coach Enos I probably wouldn’t be here.”

For Enos, win or lose, there is one thing he said he has learned under Dantonio that will make him a successful coach at Central Michigan and wherever he might go in the future.

“He has his priorities in order,” Enos said. “You can treat people the right way and still be a good football coach and still win. I think that probably sticks with me the most.”

Share and discuss “Dantonio, Enos share long coaching history” on social media.