Monday, July 1, 2024

Board of Trustees votes to approve campus construction

Administrators in MSU’s College of Human Medicine and College of Engineering expressed optimism and excitement about a proposed on-campus bioengineering facility, just hours after MSU’s Board of Trustees approved an authorization to plan for the building’s construction Friday.

The board unanimously approved a measure at its Friday meeting that gives MSU officials authority to move ahead with the $40 million project, which will bring together new and current researchers from both colleges to address problems related to everything from physiology to radiology. The state of Michigan is expected to contribute $30 million toward the building’s construction, with MSU funding the remaining $10 million.

Faculty from the College of Natural Science also are expected to use the building.

The facility is slated to be built near the Life Science Building and the Clinical Center on south campus. Construction dates have yet to be set, and the project must pass an “authorization to proceed” vote before it begins.

Administrators also touted the building as an opportunity for MSU to make significant headway in engineering health sciences.

Most of the facility’s new researchers could have dual appointments in multiple colleges, said Marsha Rappley, dean of the College of Human Medicine.

“It’s really a wonderful opportunity for our college and (the College of Engineering) … and really the entire university to have more research base,” she said.

The College of Engineering also should receive new faculty members upon the building’s completion, said Leo Kempel, the college’s associate dean for research and a professor of electrical and computer engineering.

“If you want change, you don’t get it with the same set of talent,” Kempel said.

For the first time, President Lou Anna K. Simon, Provost Kim Wilcox and board members ran through the meeting’s agenda using iPads.

Some board members brought their own iPads — including MSU Trustee Melanie Foster — to view the meeting’s documents. The rest were paid for by MSU for the trustees’ use.

“They’ve been working great,” MSU Trustee George Perles said.

Although Perles wasn’t sure of the cost, basic iPads start at $499 each according to Apple’s website.

The board also voted to elininate one of ASMSU’s student liaisons to the board and replacing it with an at-large member selected by MSU’s vice president for student affairs and services.

ASMSU — MSU’s undergraduate student government — currently has two liaisons. Under the change in policy, one of the spots will be replaced next fall with an at-large member.

This academic year, ASMSU will retain one at-large spot, and Marino will continue to represent the student body.

“(The change in policy) really came down to them transitioning to a unicameral body,” MSU Trustee Mitch Lyons said following the meeting, referring to ASMSU’s recent change to one general assembly rather than separate academic and student assemblies.

The board also approved to proceed with planning on another project — the construction of a $2 million River Trail Neighborhood Engagement Center located on McDonel Hall’s first floor.

The engagement center will be the fourth such facility on campus if completed and will provide students with math and writing tutoring and a health clinic directly in the residence hall.

Share and discuss “Board of Trustees votes to approve campus construction” on social media.