Sherman to transfer from MSU

Sophomore center Garrick Sherman is blocked by UCLA center Antthony Stover during the first half. The Spartans lost to the Bruins, 78-76, in the second round of the 2011 NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball Championship on Thursday night at St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa, Fla. Josh Radtke/The State News
Sophomore center Garrick Sherman is blocked by UCLA center Antthony Stover during the first half. The Spartans lost to the Bruins, 78-76, in the second round of the 2011 NCAA Division 1 Men's Basketball Championship on Thursday night at St. Pete Times Forum in Tampa, Fla. Josh Radtke/The State News —
Photo by Josh Radtke | and Josh Radtke The State News

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to include the transfer of center Tom Herzog in May 2010.

Sophomore center Garrick Sherman will transfer from the MSU men’s basketball program, MSU announced in a release Monday.

“I met with every player after the season about making a commitment to the program and each other,” head coach Tom Izzo said in the release. “After spending some time at home and talking with his family, Garrick Sherman has informed me that it’s important to get a fresh start elsewhere. We appreciate his contributions over the last two seasons and wish him the best in his basketball future.

“I continue to look forward to this offseason as we develop with players committed to Spartan basketball.”

Sherman averaged 3.1 points in 12.1 minutes per game this past season.

A four-star recruit out of high school in Kenton, Ohio, Sherman struggled to find consistency and confident in his first two seasons at MSU.

“I have enjoyed my two years at Michigan State,” Sherman said in the release. “I love my teammates and coaches and appreciate the way they helped me develop as a player.

“After the season, I met with Coach Izzo and after talking things over with my family, I believe it’s time for a fresh start and a new opportunity.”

Sherman is the fourth Spartan in less than one year to leave the program early. Center Tom Herzog transferred to Central Florida in May 2010 in order to get more playing time. Guard Chris Allen was dismissed from the program in the summer and guard Korie Lucious is transferring to Iowa State after being dismissed for the season in January.

Share and discuss “Sherman to transfer from MSU” on social media.