Model UN connects college, high schools

This weekend, about 500 high schoolers from multiple states will come to MSU for one main purpose: saving the world through compromise.

MSU’s 11th Model United Nations, or MSUMUN XI, will take place today, Saturday and Sunday. Model United Nations is a program aimed at copying procedures and policies of the real United Nations on a smaller scale. Students, or “delegates,” identify important issues affecting the world, draft resolutions addressing potential solutions to the issues, debate and vote on the resolutions and deal with “crisis” situations.

But although many such conferences occur throughout the state, MSU is reaching beyond the conference weekend to connect with individual high school teams, such as those at Allen Park High School and Novi High School. Social relations and policy and education senior Lauren Jasinski visited Allen Park High School several months ago to help the school’s team prepare for MSUMUN. Jasinski said the connection between high school and college students is important.

“(Students) might not know a lot of people in college or know that there are opportunities like this ahead of them,” Jasinski said. “Letting people know you can do something academic that’s still really enjoyable is important.”

Many MSU students who assist with MSUMUN also are a part of MSU’s International Relations Organization, or IRO, the collegiate counterpart to Model United Nations. Chris Noffze, a political theory and constitutional democracy and general management junior, said the conference strengthens IRO members.

“It’s partly to give back to the community and provide a learning experience to the high school students,” Noffze said. “At the same time, it provides MSU students with the opportunity to see how the other side of the conference works. … Better delegates make better staff and better staff make better delegates.”

Noffze said the conference also would be used to expose students to MSU’s campus. The conference will take place in several different locations throughout campus including the Business College Complex and Brody Square.

“A lot of students are high school students in their senior year and are making that decision as to where they’re going to go,” Noffze said. “We’re showing what opportunities MSU has as far as majors go and try to show off how great MSU’s campus is.”

Priscilla Zenn, a history teacher at Allen Park High School, said participation in Model United Nations helped students develop important skills such as public speaking and leadership. Zenn, who began the Model United Nations team at Allen Park High School this year, said MSU has been supportive of the team from students assisting the high school team to the scholarship MSUMUN provided to the school.

“(Students) enjoy the debate,” Zenn said. “They do a lot of analytical thinking. I love the interaction with kids across the state.”

Share and discuss “Model UN connects college, high schools ” on social media.