Tuesday, October 21, 2014 | Last updated: 10:39am

Opinion Blog

Mother knows best

By Holly Baranowski          Posted: 01/13/13 5:57pm         

How far would you go to change your child’s appearance? This is the question people have been asking after hearing “Teen Mom” star Farrah Abraham decided to wax her 3-year-old daughter’s unibrow. Abraham told her daughter, Sophie, what she was going to do and then waxed her own eyebrows to show her daughter how it is done.

After the child was waxed, Abraham waited until Sophie fell asleep and plucked the rest of the unibrow off with a tweezer . The next morning, Abraham insisted Sophia was happy with the results and might be OK with maintaining her new look.

Abraham’s actions have caused a lot of people to become outraged. Many people feel she is too young to be have her eyebrows waxed, and that wax is not good for a young child’s sensitive skin. Others argue Abraham is teaching Sophie that looks are very important at a young age.

Personally, I can see both sides. On one hand, Abraham was concerned about her daughter being bullied and teased for the extra hair. Girls can be cruel, even at a young age, and I don’t know if I would do things much differently if I were in Abraham’s position.

On the other hand, I do think she could have gotten rid of the hair using other methods. Wax is painful and it would have sufficed if she had used a razor or tweezers.

If it made Sophie feel better about herself, and she doesn’t have to endure the psychological factors of being bullied, I think Abraham made the right decision. I have seen worse choices made in beauty pageants.

I also don’t see anybody getting upset when parents get their baby’s ears pierced at a young age. This also is a painful procedure that isn’t necessary.

There are many aspects of Abraham’s parenting I don’t agree with, but after thinking about this particular instance, I’ve decided I support her decision. I’m sure she just wanted what was best for her daughter, as all mothers do. If this prevents her daughter from being teased, bullied and becoming insecure, I don’t see what’s wrong.