Monday, October 20, 2014 | Last updated: 12:02am

MSU Sports Blog

Reporter: MSU needs to make special jerseys more accessible

By Zach Smith          Posted: 11/08/12 7:15pm         

When the MSU men’s basketball team takes on Connecticut in Germany on Friday, they will be wearing special Nike Elite camo jerseys to honor the soldiers they are playing in front of, but did you know you could own one of your very own?

At msuspartans.com, two actions include the camo replica jerseys. One auction is just the 2012 jersey signed by head coach Tom Izzo, and the other is a combo of the jersey from this year, and the one from the Carrier Classic against North Carolina last season, also signed by Izzo.

How much would you pay for one of these jerseys? If you want the one the Spartans will be wearing on Friday, you’ll have to shell out $550 for the single jersey and more than $1,500 for the pair.

There still is more than three days to go in the auction, so think how much those prices will balloon if MSU beats the Huskies.

When the football team had the Pro Combat jerseys against Michigan last year, there was a line out the door of the shop in the MSU union the first night they were available for sale — I know because I was in it.

The popular uniforms were going for a cool $80 that night, and you still see them, along with the sweatshirts and t-shirts, around campus on football Saturdays.

On the flip side of things, I’ve only seen the 2011 Carrier Classic jerseys in two places. One is in a display case at a MSU themed restaurant in East Lansing, and the other was on a child on the sideline of a men’s basketball game at Breslin Center.

Why would MSU only make the camo jerseys available for more than $500? If MSU sold replicas to the general public they would both garner excitement and make a ton of money.

Unless you have big money to shell out, and most students do not, it will stay just a dream to own one of these pieces of history.