Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Hoop, There It Is!

Report: Appling expected to be named finalist for Bob Cousy Award

By Stephen Brooks          Posted: 01/09/13 6:46pm         

According to multiple reports, junior Keith Appling is expected to be recognized as one of the premier point guards in the country Wednesday by being named one of 20 finalists for the Bob Cousy Award, given annually to the nation’s top point guard.

Kevin Foley, a spokesperson for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, said in an email a formal announcement is scheduled for 1 p.m. Thursday. He did not confirm any finalists.

The Detroit Pershing High product has started all 15 games for No. 22 MSU (12-3 overall, 1-1 Big Ten) averaging 14.3 points per game and 4.4 assists, both of which are team-highs. He carries a 1.8 assist-to-turnover ratio.

Appling leads the Spartans in minutes played and is tied for fifth in the Big Ten in assists per game.

Michigan’s Trey Burke, Minnesota’s Andre Hollins and Ohio State’s Aaron Craft also made the cut for the award, according to reports.

The 20 finalists will be cut to 10 around Feb. 1, and then down to five near March 1. The winner will be announced during the Final Four in Atlanta.

Former Illinois guard Dee Brown, the winner in the 2005-06 season, remains the only Big Ten player to take home the award since its inception in 2003. North Carolina’s Kendall Marshall won the award last season.