Friday, October 24, 2014 | Last updated: 9:37am

Hoop, There It Is!

Halftime: No. 21 Spartans lead Texas Southern 40-19

By Dillon Davis          Posted: 11/18/12 12:49pm         

Entering his first season with the MSU men’s basketball team, expectations were high for Gary Harris. And at the half of only his third regular season game, Harris continues to put his five star talent on display.

With a game-high 14 points to go along with six from sophomore guard Branden Dawson, the freshman Harris paced the No. 21 Spartans, as they lead Texas Southern 40-19 at halftime on Sunday at Breslin Center.

After Texas Southern opened the game with a 3-pointer by guard Omar Strong, the Spartans carried the lead for much of the half, buoyed by a 17-4 scoring run in the opening minutes.

Freshman guard Denzel Valentine turned some heads with some of his signature slick passing. With 14:37 to play in the half, Valentine found fellow freshman Matt Costello on a no look pass to collect one of his four assists to go along with six points and two rebounds.

A major storyline from the first half continues to unfold with Derrick Nix. The senior center and team captain missed the first 10 minutes of action for undisclosed reasons in favor of playing time for Costello and sophomore Alex Gauna.

The Spartans return to action in the second half in the first game of a basketball doubleheader, as Suzy Merchant and the women’s team prepares for a 4 p.m. start against Virginia Tech.