Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Hoop, There It Is!

Predicting Midnight Madness festivities a tricky business

By Zach Smith          Posted: 10/02/12 5:06pm         

On Oct. 12, women’s basketball head coach Suzy Merchant and men’s basketball head coach Tom Izzo will enter the floor of Breslin Center in some creative way.

In 2011, Izzo came into Breslin dressed in a spacesuit representing the Final Four taking place in Houston that year.

In 2012, he entered in a miniature jet plane to signify the aircraft carrier game against North Carolina.

What does the MSU athletics department have up its sleeve this year?
Well, the Final Four is in Atlanta this year, so the picking is somewhat slim there, but the team is making a trip to Germany for the first regular season game of the season against Connecticut.

Maybe he will sport a green jacket and Tiger Woods to represent the Masters and the nearby Augusta National Country Club, or possibly a character from one of Atlanta-based comedian Tyler Perry’s movies.

If they wanted to focus on the Germany trip, what if Izzo put on some lederhosen, Lupe got a blonde wig, and they carried around frosted beer mugs.

It is October, isn’t it?

Merchant dressed up as a boxer last year, and wore a race suit in 2011 when the women’s Final Four was in Indianapolis, Ind.

With the Final Four in New Orleans this year and the team making a midseason trip to Las Vegas, there are a whole slew of things the head coach could enter as.

The team could have a Mardi Gras party on the floor at Breslin, or Merchant could come dancing out in a Las Vegas showgirl outfit.

Whatever the occasion, it’s sure to be a good time. Both coaches know how to put on a show and be entertaining.