Monday, October 20, 2014 | Last updated: 12:02am

Academics and Administration Blog

Secchia Center in Grand Rapids wins construction award

By Derek Blalock          Posted: 11/18/12 8:16pm         

MSU received another acknowledgement when the Secchia Center in Grand Rapids won a Downtown Award for New Construction at the Grand Rapids Downtown Alliance’s meeting on Nov. 15.

The Secchia Center, which is the MSU College of Human Medicine’s headquarters, was opened in 2010 and cost $90 million.

Last year, the center also was awarded a gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Envrionmental Design program.

In a previous State News article, the Secchia Center was said to increase the College of Human Medicine’s enrollment to about 800 students by 2014 — nearly double of the school’s enrollment at that time. The center also helps the expand the research portfolio of the college.

This year, the MSU Board of Trustees authorized a $12 million purchase of the old Grand Rapids Press headquarters only blocks away from the Secchia Center.

Although the specific use of the location hasn’t been decided, Trustee Melanie Foster said the purchase has value as MSU looks to expand in the medical industry.